I, personally, believe that 'progress' means the expansion of the human right - a right with which one can do what she/he thinks, without being repressed. In that sense, the election yesterday is truly a progress, not only for citizens of the United States, but also for everyone in this planet. As an Asian foreigner working in the United State, I could not have a chance to cast a vote (though I'm paying the federal tax more than five years). But still, Obama's victory is moving to me, as I am being one of the ethnic minorities in this country and one who loves city of Pittsburgh, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the United State of America, and my friends living in the same place in the earth and the same moment of the history.
However, the thing that I want to say is, "don't expect too much". Generally the movement in the history is gradual.
Yesterday's celebration in Oakland reminds me of Seoul in 2002, president Roh's election. He was a kind of the first non-mainstream politician to become a president in South Korea. He certainly belonged to the minors, though he was nominated by the Democratic party in Korea, which controlled the 'Blue House' (Korean presidential office, like the White House in the US) at that time.
Mr. Roh was elected with wide supports from young people, including university students, and young scholars. The thing happened is: his trials to reform South Korean political system was encountered with a massive resistance of the conservatives. As a result, he was criticized by both side. The democrats blamed him for the compromises that he made with the conservatives, and the conservatives called him the left and said that he's against the capitalism and constitution of the nation. To me, both were unfair. I maintained a supportive attitude to him, since I thought he never abuse or misuse the presidential power to attain his political goals, to me, which infers that he's doing the formal democracy.
Anyway, I guess, the same thing could happen to president Obama too. He didn't have much experiences in Washington DC, so it will take time for him to take a full control over the government. Before he achieves that, there will/could be resistive force acting against him. So, the changes, that Americans called for yesterday, won't be immediately accomplished. So, American people has to be patient.
I know Americans are different from Koreans. Moreover Obama don't have corrupted major newspapers to fight against, unlike Roh. I hope and believe that they won't make a reverse step in the history.
I also know that I'm a part of this history, even though I'm not a citizen, and didn't have a ballot. As a migrant, I sustained uncomfortable TSA's security checks more than 12 times a year, which can be said a result of the Iraq war. As a scientist, I endured time when the NSF was most indigent. Many fellow graduate students left the school and I was once almost forced to leave too. As an Asian, I also was insulted by my skin color.
I know that Obama's election is symbolic so far. The symbolic accomplishment is important whether Obama do a great job or not in future. However I hope American people could make the symbolic accomplishment substantial.
I truly congratulate the decision of the United State. Walking the fifth avenue in Pittsburgh, I was inspired to remember one song.
Well, unlike Obama say in his speech yesterday, many things are not possible in the US, like the same-sex marriage which is banned in California yesterday. I waive my own judgment on the issue, still it was surprising. However, I will believe that nothing is so impossible. I truly hope that Obama administration let the world know that the true strength of one country is coming from the ideals like democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope, but neither military power nor merciless capitalism, just like as he spoken.
IK
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
The Black Man in the White House
Posted by
IK
at
Wednesday, November 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
managed by Ildoo Kim at Pittsburgh, PA




No comments:
Post a Comment